What is error 10002/10004?
You may receive error 10002 or 10004 when attempting to Launch Game through the Launcher.
- This is typically a network / connectivity issue between your computer, your network, and our game servers.
- This error has occurred for players with an older Launcher or corrupted Launcher files.
- If a player is attempting to login to the Public Test Universe (PTU) when it is not available, they may receive this error. Check that you are not using the PTU Launcher if the PTU is not open for testing.
- In the case that the Live Alpha server is down or experiencing some troubles, this error may also be encountered.
Check the status of the game servers by clicking this link.
Troubleshooting your network
It is possible that your Windows "hosts" file has incorrect entries for RSI's servers. We recommend that you remove these entries (found at 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc') or simply reset your hosts file to default using Microsoft's guide.
- Ensure that the Patcher is whitelisted in your firewall and anti-virus software: RSI Launcher.exe and StarCitizen.exe.
- Ensure that TCP 8000 - 8020 and UDP 64090 - 64110 destination ports are forwarded and/or open in and out in your firewall/router.
- You do not need to explicitly forward these ports to your computer, but if your router/firewall has settings for controlling ingress/egress make sure that connectivity is permitted both ways to/from these ports on our servers. This article has some information about opening or forwarding ports that may help.
- Check your software firewall including Windows Firewall if present have these ports open and permit traffic in both directions. This article may help.
- You may need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to also have them update and check your ports for your account. Some players were able to get this solved with their help.
- Try using a VPN. Some users may need to create and play from a VPN. If VPN works, but not opening ports locally, you need to contact your ISP to have ports opened.
- Check your DirectX install, you may need to reinstall or update the latest.
- Try running the Launcher as administrator: right-click and choose Run as Administrator.
Use the new Launcher
If you see PTU anywhere in your Launcher screen, you may still be trying to use the old PTU Launcher. You will need to fully delete the old Launcher and files:
- Right click on the Windows icon and select Run.
- Enter and run %appdata% and click Ok. This opens Users\CurrentProfile\Appdata\Roaming. Delete the rsilauncher folder.
- Right click on the Windows icon and select Run again.
- Enter and run %localappdata% and click Ok. This opens Users\CurrentProfile\Appdata\Local. Delete the StarCitizen folder.
- In the file manager, navigate to (install drive)\Program Files. Delete the entire Roberts Space Industries folder.
- Clear your trash.
Modify settings for throttled or slower networks
You may need to change the download speed, the network may be getting interrupted:
- Open and login to your Launcher.
- Click Settings.
- To reduce the number of connections, click the drop -down for Concurrent downloads. Choose a lower amount, like 15 or 10 to start.
- To reduce the amount of data transferred per connection, click the drop-down for Download speed limitand choose a lower amount. We recommend midrange or lower MB/s. The lowest KB/s may not show significant improvement.
- Setting the options saves changes.
File Shuffle and Verify trick
Try the following:
- Open a File Manager.
- Cut and paste the LIVE folder to another location on your computer (like a temp folder or desktop). You can find this folder in (install drive)\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE.
- Make sure the Launcher is entirely closed. Delete the Launcher folder and empty your trash. This is usually found in (install drive)\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\RSI Launcher.
- Download and install the Launcher again.
- Open the Launcher and start downloading the game. When it starts downloading the data.p4k 39GB file, pause the download.
- Close the Launcher fully.
- Copy back the LIVE folder back to the original location: (install drive)\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE.
- Open the Launcher and click Settings.
- Click Verify. Let the Verify complete and try launching the game.