What is error 15006?
This error is typically due to authentication between your computer and our game servers. You may also receive 15009, a similar issue with the same resolutions.
- Server side authentication issue
- Sometimes data pulled to the server may timeout and not allow a full connection. Retrying may let you in eventually.
- Blocked ports either at your router or Internet Service Provider
Troubleshoot your network
We have typically seen the following options solve this issue.
- Ensure out files are whitelisted in your firewall and anti-virus software: RSI Launcher.exe and StarCitizen.exe.
- Some players have had to change their anti-virus software. We've seen issues with Avast, Panda, and a few others.
Ensure TCP 8000 - 8020 UDP 64090 - 64110 ports are permitted out/opened in your firewall/router.
- This article can help for adding ports to a router.
- You may need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to also have them update and check your ports for your account. Some players were able to get this solved with their help.
Try using a VPN:
Some users may need to create and play from a VPN. If VPN works, but not opening ports locally, you need to contact your ISP to have ports opened.
Run as administrator: right-click and choose Run as Administrator.
Router / Modem setup
If you're using a setup that has the router and modem as separate pieces of hardware, try temporarily bypassing the router.
- Plug the modem directly into the computer.
- Try launching the game.
- If this works, you are encountering issues with your router settings.
- Unplug the connection bypassing your router. We do not recommend permanently bypassing the router due to security concerns.
- Restore original connections once testing has been completed.
If you have a router from your ISP, you can contact them for additional help. Typically, you can access your router via an IP. Search for information on your router, check your ISP documentation or account, or this article can help.
Windows issues and troubleshooting
You may want to boot your computer using Selective Startup or Safe Mode. This limits the applications running in the background to help diagnose the issue.
For full details per version, see the following:
You may also want to restart the Windows Base Filtering Engine (BFE). This is a Microsoft service that manages firewall and Internet Protocol security (IPsec) policies and implements user mode filtering.
You may want to search for instructions per your Windows version. The following instructions walk through Windows 10.
- Right-click the Windows button and select Search.
- Enter services.msc and search. For Windows 10, the Services app opens.
- In the list, locate and select Base Filtering Engine. The Status may display as running, stopped, etc.
- You can right-click in the Status field to select Restart. Or use the Restart button up in the top.
- Wait for the service to show the status Running.
- Try launching the game.
Other game companies or services may be running in the background causing network or bandwidth issues. For example, Blizzard Battle.net app and Steam have caused a few problems for players. These services may also have automatic updates running for multiple games.
You can check the Windows system tray to check for all of your active, running services and applications.
Server side issue in our servers
This error can also happen when the game client doesn't get a response back about your account data being updated after logging in. You can get this error if your game client crashed and didn't get far enough in the login process to generate server logs on our end.
Anti-virus, router ports, wifi, and firewalls can prevent your game client from being able to connect with our authentication process.
Bad instance server side or maintenance
Sometimes this error triggers due to an overloaded or badly running instance. You can wait and try launching the game at a later time. To check for any maintenance or server restarts, check our Spectrum chats.
Contacting your ISP
If you continue to have issues, you may need to contact your ISP and ask them the following:
- Is my account or router being throttled due to downloads?
- Verify services and ports open for my account? Specifically you need these open: 8000 - 8020 UDP 64090 - 64110
- Are these domains being throttled or blocked, can they be whitelisted for my account/service: robertsspaceindustries.com , for a game specific one: public.universe.robertsspaceindustries.com
GPU issues and crashes
Sometimes a 15006 error is due to timeouts with your video/graphics card and the game. If you have multiple SLIs, overlays, and larger resolution monitors like 1440 and above, you may need to update your graphics and USER.cfg file.
See our Guide to Graphic Issues for full details.