You can send, or gift, pledges made with cash using a supported payment method to your friends with an RSI account!
Can I send a gift? Gifting Restrictions!
- Any RSI account can gift pledges! But brand new accounts cannot start sending gifts immediately. You can start sending gifts after 30 days of the first pledge.
- Game packages, standalone ships, and other pledge store items may be gifted once. This is counted as once per item, not once per account.
- In effect, once an items has been gifted it will be ‘locked’ to the account on which it has been accepted. Items which have been pledged for with store credit, either in full or in part, will never be giftable.
What you can't gift
The following items can never be giftable:
- Orders with physical merchandise, like books or apparel
- Some subscriber rewards cannot be gifted. If you have an Imperator subscription, you will receive extra hangar flair that is gift-able. Also subscriber flair bought through the subscriber page is gift-able.
- Backer rewards from Kickstarter pledges are tied to your account
- Referral rewards are tied to your account
- Pledges made with partial or full Store Credit
How do I send a gift?
For a detailed walkthrough, see Gift a Ship or Game Package to a friend!
Authenticator Required! To send a gift to another account, you must have a Multi-Step/Two-Step Authenticator on your account. We support email and mobile app authenticators. For more information, see Protect your account with an Authenticator.
When can I gift a pledge?
Once an account has made its first pledge, there is a 30-day "gifting lock-out" period. After that time has elapsed, pledges that are normally eligible to be gifted to another account may be sent freely.
How can I cancel a gift? I sent a gift to the wrong person!
Mistakes do happen, and there is a way to correct it if it is caught quickly enough!
- Head back to the "My Hangar" section of the RSI Account page
- Locate the recently gifted pledge
- Click the arrow icon on the lower right
- Click CANCEL GIFT
RSI Support Staff will not be able to assist with recovering a gift after it has been claimed. This is why sending a gift in the first place requires many confirmation steps including entering the RSI Account password.
My friend borrowed a ship, but can't send it back. Why?
Every pledge you send is "gift-once". When you gift a pledge, you are permanently giving it away! When the recipient claims their gift, it is locked to their account. You no longer have access to the gifted pledge, and you can never receive the pledge back.
Only gift pledges you intend to give away and never receive back.
Also, RSI cannot return, refund, or provide back any pledges you have gifted away. These items are considered owned by the account that claimed the gifted pledges.
I’ve been the victim of a fraudulent trade! What does this mean? Help!
If you purchased a fraudulently obtained ship through the "grey market," we may remove it as part of a hacked or compromised account investigation. Hackers tend to steal ships and pledges from accounts they breach, sell the pledges through a third party site ("grey market"), and gift those pledges when you purchase them.
RSI does not support or arbitrate disputes for purchases made through a third party site. If a ship or pledge was stolen during an account compromise, we return those ships and items to the original account owner.
You will need to arbitrate your disputes through the third party site or company with whom you made the initial purchase.
Was your account hacked? We can help.
You may see a number of emails stating you have gifted away your pledges. If you did not gift those pledges, we can investigate your account for a compromise, or hacking. In the event of an account compromise, we investigate the access and issues.
If the account was compromised, we can return all stolen/gifted, melted/reclaimed, or sold ships, game packages, and other pledged items when restoring the account. Please keep in mind compromised account investigations can take time to fully investigate and complete, and thus a complete investigation may take many days. For more information, see our article on compromised accounts.
I have two accounts. Can I gift items to my other account, even though they appear to be not giftable? Can I merge my accounts?
We do not currently support merging accounts – even if the accounts are obviously yours.
You can definitely gift pledges between your accounts. These gifts still have the same gifting restrictions and rules as if gifting to a friend. If the pledge is giftable, you can send it to your second account and claim it.
I bought my friend a ship, but I can’t gift it. Why?
If you pledged for the item using REC or Store Credit, you cannot gift these items. Also UEC items are never refundable.
I gifted a pledge to my friend, but they don't show as a Backer?
The Backer status is an award for players that have pledged for a standalone ship/game package, item, etc with cash using a payment method. Only players that have supported the game can receive this status.
If your friend only has the pledges you gifted, they do not receive the status. If they are looking for easy pledges to get the Backer status, they can buy a Subscription pass for a month or look into some ship skins!