With the introduction of the Vehicle Canvas feature in SC Alpha Patch 3.13.0, players will gain the ability to name their ships. Even more exciting is that these names will also show in game on the hull of their ship!
Previously, 600i Warbond concept pledges were given the ability to reserve a name for their ship and soon, we will be opening up this ability to name a ship to additional models. Any player that owns one of the eligible ships will receive the ability to name it, regardless of whether it is a stand alone ship or part of another package. This will be done in waves based on when the pledge was acquired. For further information, check out our community post here.
We also have a table with information on the wave releases at the end of this page.
How to Name Your Ship
To assign a name to your ship, follow these easy steps:
- Login to your RSI Account on the website.
- Go to your hangar.
- Locate the pledge with a nameable ship. You will see a tag indicating that the pledge contains a ship that can be renamed on it, as shown below.
- Click the arrow on the right of the pledge to expand the list of the pledge contents (see above screenshot).
- Click the Rename ship(s)! button to open the ship name dialog box.
- Select the ship and enter your chosen name to rename your ship. You will be required to enter your RSI account password to confirm the change.
- Click RENAME.
If the name is free and allowed you will see a green "Success!" message, and the window can be closed. If the name is already taken or is restricted for some reason, such as prohibited language or other violations of the RSI Code of Conduct or Terms of Service, you will need to try again. Once back on your hangar page, the name of your ship will now show on the pledge.
Note that even after naming your ship, the "Rename ships!" button remains. This is the first iteration of ship naming and while you can change the name as often as you like for now, it's important to note that this is only temporary. But do keep in mind that the moment you change your ship's name, the previous one is released back into the name pool immediately and anyone can take it. A warning in the ship name dialog box will alert you of this before you do so.
We are currently reviewing various options to limit the ability to change ship names infinitely, such as a cooldown and/or a small fee (similar to how handle changes work currently), as naming your ship is intended to be a meaningful and lasting decision.
Ship Name Restrictions
Be as creative as you like, but there are a few rules that will need to be followed as outlined here:
- A ship's name is unique to that particular model of ship, including any variants.
- Example: A 600i and an 890 Jump can both be named the "Touring McTouringson", but two different players cannot both name their 600i the "Touring McTouringson".
- Example: A 600i Explorer, Touring, and Executive edition are all grouped under the 600i series and so they must have unique names.
- Names are on a "First Come, First Served" basis.
- There is a limit of 32 characters for a given ship name that must consist of ASCII characters of non-accented letters, numbers, spaces, and/or dashes in any combination.
- Spaces and dashes, while allowed, cannot be consecutively repeated in the ship's name and cannot be on the outside of the name.
- Example: A ship named "Proud-Mary" is fine but "Proud--Mary" and "-Proud-Mary-" are not.
- The ship name must respect the RSI Code of Conduct and Terms of Service.
- Repeated violations of the code of conduct may include removal of the ability to name ships or the suspension of a player's RSI account.
- Ships purchased in-game cannot be named at this time.
Ship Name FAQs
My attempts to name a ship are all failing!
Assuming you are selecting a name that is both free and allowed under the restrictions noted above, the most common cause for this issue is browser addons blocking the function of the hangar section of the RSI website.
The most common addon that will do this is the Star Citizen Hangar XPLORer addon, which was recently updated with some features to help combat this problem. If you use this browser addon, update it and use the new "Clear Cache" feature then try again.
Others browser addons that block or alter certain parts of web pages may create problems too. If you have encountered this issue, disable all web browser extensions and addons and attempt to name your ship again.
Can I name a ship that I bought in-game?
With the initial rollout, vehicles and ships acquired in-game with aUEC are not eligible for naming as the functionality has not yet been implemented. Specifically, this is because at this stage of development, ships earned in-game are not permanent and are subject to wipe. We do however fully plan on making this functionality available in-game at a later time.
How do I get a ship name that is already used? Does CIG Plan to recycle inactive names?
Once a ship name has been reserved or taken, it will be "locked out" and no one else will be able to use it for that specific series of ship. There are no current plans to recycle claimed names that go unused on active ships, be it from ships sitting in a hangar or ships sitting on inactive RSI accounts.
Names on ships that have been reclaimed, refunded, or otherwise deleted will be released back into the naming pool.
What happens if I reclaim my ship?
For any ships gained via the Pledge Store, reclaiming the pledge will add the store credit associated with the value of your ship to your RSI Account. However the name will be removed and can be taken by someone else.
What happens if I upgrade my ship?
As noted with reclaiming a named ship above, the name will be removed and it will become available for use on any ship in that series once again.
If I upgrade to nameable ship, will I be able to rename it?
Yes. Once the naming feature is added to the specific ship model, any player that owns one of that type of ship will be able to name it.
If my ship’s name is found to be inappropriate, what will happen?
CIG reserves the right to restrict, remove, or replace any ship name for any reason.
Restricted names may include those referencing in-fiction lore, offensive terms or phrases, divisive rhetoric, real persons or places, or other factors we deem applicable.
There are filters and measures put in place to prevent the use of some terms and words, however these are not perfect and players may still find a way to get offensive or restricted names into the game.
Should you come across a ship name you feel to be inappropriate, report it to the Player Relations team in a support ticket, and include the offending player's handle along with the name and model of the ship. Repeated ship name violations may result in the removal of a player's ability to name their ships and/or the suspension of their RSI account.
Can I name my ship after my favorite CIG employee?
While we're honored, no you cannot. This includes references by name, the "CIG" suffix, or other descriptors referencing members of staff.
Ship Name System Release Info
As mentioned above, the initial ship name system release allowed players that owned an eligible ship access to the name feature in waves. While this period has now ended we have left this here as reference to what was done in the past. Future waves for naming ships may resemble this, however CIG reserves the right to alter the process as needed.
Placement in a given wave will be based on the date when the pledge in question was acquired. There are two important call-outs for this:
- If the pledge containing one of these ships was reclaimed for store credit and then bought back later, the buy back date is what will be used to determine wave access.
- Example: A player pledged for an 890 Jump in 2017, reclaimed it, and decided to buy it back last week. This player will be placed in 890 Jump Wave 4.
- If a player upgraded a pledge to one of these ships, the date the ship upgrade was applied will be used.
- Example: A player acquired an Aurora MR in 2015 and later upgraded this ship to a Hammerhead in 2019. This player will be placed in Hammerhead Wave 3.
RSI Support staff cannot assist with altering pledge acquisition dates to get in an earlier wave.
|Mercury Star Runner||
* 600i Warbond Concept pledges have had name reservation available from the outset. Players with one of these pledges have already reserved their names and need take no further actions. As noted above, the pledge must be in your hangar, and not your buy back queue, if you wish to take advantage of this special 600i Warbond perk. Non-Warbond 600i Concept pledges will be in Wave 1.