Arena Commander is an in simulation game played from a sim pod within the Star Citizen universe. For Star Citizen Alpha, Arena Commander is accessed through the main menu and consists of single player and multiplayer game modes for open flying, dogfighting, and ship racing.
What do I need to access Arena Commander?
To access Star Citizen Alpha one will need an RSI account and a pledge package which includes a ship and access to the full game, including Arena Commander.
What ships will I be able to fly in Arena Commander?
Arena Commander currently includes all flyable ships up to the Freelancer in size. Larger, multicrew ships may only be available in limited game modes (usually Free Flight and/or private matches) however, an Arena Commander loaner F7C is available to anyone who owns a Freelancer and larger crewed ship. Any ship that isn't yet flight ready will also be given a loaner. For more information on what loaners are given to what ships, go here: Loaner Matrix.
If I have a variant (Cutlass Blue, Cutlass Red…) can I still fly?
When a ship variant is unavailable, the purchase will give you access to the base model in Star Citizen until your ship is ready for flight, provided the base model is also flight ready.
What Game Modes can I play?
Star Citizen's Arena Commander environment is not a single game mode, but rather an amalgamation of single-player and multiplayer experiences. The following modes are available in Arena Commander:
Single-Player modes include:
- Vanduul Swarm - Horde mode with two AI wingmen against Vanduul pilots and ships.
- Pirate Swarm - Horde mode with two AI wingmen against pirates and human ships.
- Free Flight - Open flight with small landing pads.
- Murray Cup Racing - Laps one of three available race-track configurations.
Multiplayer modes include:
- Battle Royale - Free for all ship dogfighting against other players.
- Squadron Battle - Team deathmatch dogfighting against other players.
- Vanduul Swarm Coop - Cooperative horde mode with up to three player wingmen against Vanduul pilots and ships.
- Pirate Swarm Coop - Cooperative horde mode with up to three player wingmen against pirates and human ships.
- Murray Cup Racing - Head to head racing against other players in three race-track configurations.
- Dying Star - Inspired by the Pyro System's unstable solar activity.
- Broken Moon - Inspired by the debris fields of Taranis II.
- New Horizons Speedway - Inspired by the Murray Cup approved New Horizons Speedway in the Ellis system.
- Old Vanderal (difficulty: easy)
- Rikkord Memorial Raceway (difficulty: medium)
- Defford Link (difficulty: hard)
How can I change my ship's equipment?
You can alter your ship's equipment by going into the "Ship Customization" menu from the main Arena Commander menu page. Any changes made here will persist throughout all game modes including the Persistent Universe.
Can I try different ships and equipment?
Yes! Completing multiplayer public matches earns you Rental Equipment Credits (REC), which can be used to rent ships and equipment for use within Arena Commander.