In the event that an extremely detrimental bug has occurred that has either greatly or completely hindered a player's ability to participate in the Star Citizen Alpha Testing phase, you are able to reset your character to refresh all of the data associated with it within our systems. There are a few things that need to be kept in mind before going ahead with this...
This is a last resort step and we encourage players to avoid using this option. This process cannot be halted or reversed once it has been started. A number of updates and fixes are planned for an upcoming patch. RSI Support staff does not have a way to reset a character outside of this feature that will have different results from a successfully completed reset a player can initiate.
Players should attempt to resolve the issues using workarounds if possible and report the issues and any fixes they've found on the Issue Council. Reporting such detrimental problems on the Issue Council will help us track down the root cause for these very annoying issues and start working towards getting them sorted out without the need for such drastic measures as a data wipe of a character.
We have begun testing Long Term Persistence which means, assuming everything works, certain aspects of your account and character will not be affected by a character reset. While this process will not completely set your character data back to a default state, it may help with solving some more troublesome bugs, like a missing mobiGlas. However as Long Term Persistence is new and still being tested some unforeseen issues might arise that a reset will not sort out. Any issues encountered with Long Term Persistence should be reported via the Issue Council.
What effects will this have?
Once a character reset has been performed, the following will happen:
- Mission and quest progress in-game will be wiped.
- Your spawn point will be reset.
- You will need to re-customize your character.
- Your aUEC will be set to match the Long Term Persistence ledger.
- All ships, vehicles, and equipment will be reset to their default state, based on what is showing in your hangar page on the website.
This process cannot be reversed once it has been completed. This reset will not reset Long Term Persistence. RSI Support staff does not have a way to reset a character outside of this feature that will have different results from a successfully completed reset a player can initiate.
When do I need a character reset?
Many of the following issues will require a reset to get a character back into a playable state:
- Receiving the 30009 error or encountering an infinite loading screen.
- Your mobiGlas has gone missing or is not functioning at all.
- Your character cannot interact with anything (such as doors, terminals, and ships).
- All of your ships have become unflyable (missing components, failed to spawn, can't file claims for lost vessels, duplicate ships, etc.)
- You are unable to complete the character creation process for some reason.
The following are NOT valid reasons to request a character reset.
- Resetting your crime rating or reputations. If you are having trouble with your crime stat, please report the problem on the Issue Council.
- Recovering aUEC invested into cargo that has been lost for some reason. A reset will not change your aUEC total.
What steps should I take if I need to have my character reset?
In the event that your character has gotten into a state that will require a data wipe, follow these steps closely so that we can assist as quickly as possible:
- Attempt any known workarounds for your issue to see if it can be resolved without totally negating all the hard work you may have done in game up to this point.
- Head to the RSI website.
- Login to your account.
- Report your problem and steps to reproduce it on the Issue Council, adding to a previous report if there has been one reported before.
- Go to 'My Hanger' > Settings > Character Reset and follow the directions there.
If the issue that required a character reset has not been resolved after several hours, please head to the Issue Council and file a report there to help us gather data about the problem.