The RSI Launcher may encounter a variety of errors and issues when installing, updating, and launching the game. The issues can have underlying errors involving your system specs, network configuration, Internet Service Provider (ISP) settings, and graphic card / GPU issues.
Always search the Issue Council when you encounter a crash or issue. We track entered and contributed reports to provide information directly to development and QA.
See the following:
- Harddrive space
- Login access issues
- Multiple Launchers running
- Cannot retrieve Update Manifest - code 0x1004
- Common issues
- Connections errors
- Additional Information
Hard drive space
Currently, the RSI Launcher does not verify the amount of available and required harddrive space against the drive you select. Make sure to check the available space on your current drive before installing.
- At least 41GB of space for the RSI Launcher and Star Citizen
- SSD strongly recommended
- Drive should be NTFS formatted
If you do not have enough space, the install may not complete. If you are tight on space, you may encounter issues when performing Star Citizen updates or file verification.
Login access issues
It's possible your USER content needs to be rebuilt.
- Open a file explorer.
- Locate the folder: (install drive)\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE
- Delete the USER folder.
- Fully shutdown your computer. This fully clears any remaining Windows memory cache with incorrect or corrupt information.
- Boot up. Open the Launcher and try logging in again with your Login ID and password!
Helpful note: The logindata.json file generates and deletes when the RSI Launcher is open. This also helps to keep login information updated. Just in case, fully close the Launcher and make sure the file is definitely removed from (install drive)\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE.
Multiple Launchers running
It's possible you may have multiple Launchers open. By default, the RSI RSI Launcher only minimizes to the system tray when you click X to close. You may want to check and close any additional Launchers.
Click the System Tray near the date and time on the Windows task bar. You may see multiple RSI icons for each open launcher. Right click on an icon and select Quit to close extras. Or you can open the Windows Task Manager to find and close extra Launchers.
To close the Launcher when clicking X:
- Open and login to your Launcher.
- Click Settings.
- Scroll down to the option Quit launcher when window is closed.
- Click the box to enable.
Cannot retrieve Update Manifest - code 0x1004
If you receive an error of "Cannot retrieve Update Manifest" or error code 0x1004, you may have an access issue.
Ensure TCP 8000 - 8020 UDP 64090 - 64110 ports are permitted out/opened in your firewall/router.
- This article can help for adding ports to a router.
- You may need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to also have them update and check your ports for your account. Some players were able to get this solved with their help.
- Ensure out files are whitelisted in your firewall and anti-virus software: RSI Launcher.exe and StarCitizen.exe.
- Some players have had to change their anti-virus software. We've seen issues with Avast, Panda, and a few others.
Fully delete and install:
You may receive one of the following connection errors when trying to launch the game.